- June 10, 2020
- Posted by: Iestyn Williams
- Category: In the News
Yesterday the Government confirmed that 8.9 million jobs have been furloughed and 2.6 million claims submitted to the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme.
- The furlough scheme and income support for self-employed people, which the Liberal Democrats fought hard to get, are providing a lifeline for millions of families.
- However, far too many people are still excluded from this support, including those who recently became self-employed and those who operate as limited companies. The Chancellor must expand the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme to cover these people.
- The Government must not leave behind people and businesses without the support they need when these schemes come to an end. Many parts of our economy, such as tourism and hospitality, will simply not be back up to speed by October.
- The Government must bring forward bespoke packages of support for these industries to save jobs and prevent mass unemployment.